Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Golden Beets Halwa

Thanks for the fellow bloggers who stopped and inquired about my status. I am totally fit probably little lazy to pull after the summer break. I know it has been months I have checked this space and yours too. I missed all your delicious food.
My son started Jr. High School (7th grade) this year. The transition went smoothly with so many changes. New school, new teachers and new set of friends for each period, he adopted the routine. He leaves early and back early again. If it is an early release, I feel that he is in KG -only four hours! All his assignments are online and most of the time my system is overused by him. Pretty much we are racing with time with extra activities, homework and dinner! But, I will try to keep this space live as much as possible.


Golden beets are totally new to my kitchen. I should admit, we are not great fan of this root vegetable. We
hate the dirt smell and the sweet taste not to mention the stained cutting board.
My local farmer piled his table with colorful beets and were quiet a bargain the bunch which prompted to buy them. It was bright orange from outside and a  canary yellow inside. It didn't stain my white cutting board another plus, after cooking you cannot trace the dirt smell and extremely sweet. Would be great for salad /soup or to make this sweet with less added sugar.
This beets are highly sugary naturally so we can reduce the added sugar, if you are planning to make sweet or dessert. I found 1/2 cup was too sweet for our taste buds - next time I should reduce a tbsp or two in this below recipe.


Golden Beets Halwa



Ingredients


 Grated Golden Beets  2 cups
 Milk  2 cups
 Sugar  1/2 cup
 Ghee/Clarrified butter  4 tsp
Green cardamon/ Elaichi  5 - peeled and powdered
 Nuts of your choice/Pistachios  sliced pistachios 2 tsp




Method:
Peel, wash and grate the Beets.
Heat a wide non stick pan,add  2 tsp of Ghee and fry the grated Beets for 5 to 10 min.
Add the milk and place the lid .
Cook the beet in low flame until the beets are tender. Keep scraping the mixture to prevent scorching.
Once the Beets are soft add the Sugar.  Cook until the mixture become dry. Now sprinkle the cardamon and  use rest of the ghee. Decorate with nuts.
Switch off the stove and enjoy the beets Halwa hot or warm.


Note: Golden beets may oxidize. The first beet turned black in few minutes- i didn't use for the halwa.
Grate and cook immediately to prevent the color changing.  









Pict: Halwa and Jasmine (combo) are known as a romantic gift given to a wife in T.N.
Have you ever heard of it?
The  Arabian jasmine is a new addition in my garden this summer.

18 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Welcome back Cham,its been a while, seriously i missed ur posts.. Seems you are back with a bang..Congrats and my best wishes ur your boy..

Halwa and jasmine combo..Wow, watelse we need..haha.. Love that bright and irresistible halwa.

LG said...

I had never seen golden beets before. Thanks for enlightening me on this. Halwa looks yumm...
Best Wishes to your Prince for his new term of school. Take care :)

Suja Md said...

Wow...we are getting golden beets here, love to try this veggie as soon as I can!

Navaneetham Krishnan said...

The varieties of halwa these days are simply amazing and I am seeing another delicious one. Halwa will always be my all time fav.

sra said...

It looks lovely!

notyet100 said...

Droolin looking at this glad to see ur post after such a long time

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks yum...never tried beet halwa ...nice

Finla said...

I do think kids grow so fast. 7th grade i am sure he is enjoying his new mature school days :-)
Never had this beet but looks so good. And Welcome back to the blog world :-)

Deepa&Divya said...

Looks yummy..will try

Raniya Sheikh said...

Never i taste and heard about this Golden beet halwa.. but it sound interesting looks yummy
Best curry in Manchester

Jousua Adam said...

I just came to your post and reading above thing it is very impressive me and it is very nice blog. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
Chalisa Indian Restaurant


Thanks!
KelvinCruse

Vikis Kitchen said...

welcome back Cham. Golden beets is new to me too. I will buy next time if i see it. I can understand how time flies:) Malligai poo and halwa photo is very romantic cham:) Lovely post.

Srivalli said...

I guess you have taken another break Cham...that halwa looks yum!..Happy Festival Season..

notyet100 said...

Hi how u been its been so long ? Wish ya great year ahead

notyet100 said...

Wish ya great yr ahead

Shweta Agrawal said...

loved every bit of it....yum yum yum..
Happy New Year!!!
Participate in my event and 2 giveaways
http://merrytummy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/cook-with-red-event-and-giveaways.html

Usha R said...

Been a long while since I got a chance to peek in here, Cham. Hope you all are doing well. Wish you all a very Happy New Year. The halwa looks yummy :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Glad you dropped by! I am rarely on blogosphere too.. I hav a 7th grader too, so I completely understand the craziness... Hang in there! Happy New YEar!